View Single Post
Old 06-15-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I doubt McClain would even care. McClain was at a show and I was getting all four of his covers signed. Given that the player has to the right to reject any item, I questioned whether he would sign one of the covers. I placed the covers with Kaline and Gibson on top with "Baseball's Big Scandal" on the bottom. When he got to the scandal magazine, I said "Sorry, I collect SI Covers", without missing a beat McClain said "No problem, they will write anything to sell magazines." No lie. I went home and read up on McClain's woes. Interesting story. I think McClain would sign his mugshot without blinking an eye.

If the variation is out there, (I hate to use the word) but it would be a rare one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Here's my copy of the Gibson/McLain signed SI. I got Gibby at the Tuff Stuff show in 1999 and Denny in 2007 at a store in Chesapeake, VA. I had not asked Denny to add his record to his signature, but he did anyway with a line under it, as if to say "Gibson wasn't the only one to have a great year in 1968."

I'll try to get some more uploaded as I've got about 250 signed SIs, including some tough Steeler covers.

I am sure that as long as he was getting paid for it, he wouldn't care.
Obviously, I can’t get Gibson now because he’s passed on, but can still get McLain on the 1993 cover. He signed his other three covers at shows without problem for me. The scandal cover from 1970 is one of my favorites in my entire collection.

250 signed SIs? Man, I’ve gotten more of 100 of them, most coming since 2019 and I’d have love to get every one I possibly can.

Last edited by Topps206; 06-17-2023 at 10:28 PM.