View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 10:22 PM
Chris Counts

Another option would be to buy a cap without the logo, and put "C" on it later. The original caps were not embroidered, but had a red "C" that was sewn on. This link shows some originals, which have royal blue crowns, and not navy blue crowns like the 1948 Indians.

http://mlbcollectors.com/CINcaps.php

Since I'm a big Reds fan, I might try it myself. I'm no fan of the polyester throwbacks, which seem to have the licensing market cornered.

I can't understand why MLB won't offer a high quality alternative — or let someone else do it. Both Mitchell Ness and Ebbets Field Flannels have made wool prototypes of old MLB caps, but presumably were turned down for licensing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Thanks Chris. Yes the "Chorizos" cap is pretty close, but has red vent holes or grommets. I contacted Ebbets Field Flannels, they said they can't custom make one due to MLB copyright. Another cap maker said the same thing. I really don't get it. 1939 and 40 Reds were pennant winners, and won the WS in 1940. You would think they would be proud of that. I guess I should just be happy with my stadium throwback promotion cap, I am pretty sure that is what it is.