View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 07:50 AM
Frank Wakefield

Default 2023 rule changes, unintended consequences

I don't really KNOW what I'm about to post about (not a first).

The new rules... a few unintended consequences have crossed my mind. First one I would like to hear thoughts on is the pitch clock.

From my prejudiced, incorrect Old Times were better perspective, Bob Gibson would have no trouble pitching with the clock change. Lots of pitchers in the 60s could work quickly. Sometimes, when listening to the radio, when the radio break was 60 seconds, I recall there were pitchers that would already be a pitch or two into the first batter before the commercial break was over. The announcer would say what the first two pitches were as the third pitch was happening. Those were the days of games occasionally being complete under 2 hours. NOT TRUE with many modern pictures. As a Cardinals fan, I've agonized as Giovanny Gallegos would tentatively stand on the mound between pitches.... Players on the field with Bob Gibson would have to be alert, because Gibson was pitching, constantly. Jim Kaat worked quickly later in his career.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1680270179

The Cardinal's hurler, who pitches a glacier-like frequency. 'cause a thread needs a card.

These modern pitchers have gotten accustomed to having their own amount of time to get ready between pitches. Thoughts: Might delivering a pitch with greater frequency reduce the possible velocity that could have been placed on the pitch? Will pitch count for a starter go down because he now can't take as long to catch his breath, relax his arm, then start his windup?

So, my first question:

Most 2023 pitchers have learned to pitch at their own pace, will the pitch clock rules result in some injured arms because a pitcher's pitch frequency and pattern has changed?
Attached Images
File Type: png 2023 Topps Giovanny Gallegos.png (158.2 KB, 749 views)

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-31-2023 at 07:53 AM.