View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 12:07 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
As usual you are among the most thoughtful of us all... I've struggled with plenty of similar feelings without really reconciling them.

Responders above have given some great advice and thoughts. Like some of them, I find it a lot less interesting to look at one more mega-priced Ruth or Mantle card than I do to dig out something really obscure (and hopefully not too pricey).

couple of strategies I've enjoyed:

1. I've picked a little-known but not crazy-expensive set I thought was cool and gone for it. I'm currently closing in on the Blue Ribbon Malt Cubs ansd White Sox, which I think are just beautiful. I am egotistical enough to like the idea that I have one of the few, or the only, complete set anywhere.

2. I have a "player wantlist" where I seek out cards of obscure players that aren't represented in my collection. When I acquire one of them I'll look into his background and career so he comes alive beyond the often thin MLB stat line.

Here's part of the current player wantlist:

M101-1: Bergen, Doyle, Hahn, Hamilton, Lange

E91-C: Hughes

Topping Postcards: Speer

B18: Dolan, Robinson, Dee Walsh, Gus Williams

T204: Jim Ball, Bancroft, Burkett, Kahoe, Murnane, Newton, Reilly

E286 JuJu Drums: Cheek, Mullen

W514: Dilhoefer, Risberg, Shean, Williams

E120/W573: Barnhart, Callaway, Crane, Fuhrman, Johnston, Bob Jones

1923-24 Exhibits: Barnhart

1925 Exhibits: Brooks, Wings [Wingo]

1926 Exhibits: Huber, Munson, Spurgeon

1929-30 Exhibits: Holloway, Richardson

1931-32 Exhibits: Boley, Gooch, Sweeney, Webb

Baguer Chocolate: Boley

R318 Batter-Up: Gabler, Bud Hafey, Mickey Haslin

U1 Matchbooks: Crawford, Goldstein, Roy Haslin, McLaughlin, Muller, Quigley, Rensa, Rip Sewell, Sullivan

U3 Matchbooks Cain, Roy Haslin, Hinkle, Holbrook, Leggett, Michaels, Milligan, Saltzgraver, Tietje
Tim, I can help ya on the E91C Hughes.
That is my Mom's maiden name so I took a dive on both Tom Hughes, AL and NL. I have an extra E91, so maybe we can work a good ol' fashioned trade.
We can PM to follow up on that when it works for us both; no hurries on my part; I got ya covered though.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."