View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 11:53 AM
Ben Gehler

I'll try to keep it short and sweet this time; apparently, the previous one violated the "token" timing and I lost the whole dern thang.
I fly in different directions and altitudes than most here; so I appreciate the opportunity to wink at those I fly passed; thank you Todd for this post.
One of my many projects; it's only a Verban card to most; what a cool one for me and my family though.

After Uncle Ed passed, I became curator of his "collection"; he was a keeper of cool; news clippings and game programs. He didn't collect baseball cards but this one (A).
He went to a lot of Cubs games at Wrigley as a kid with his Dad. Sure Verban was his fave but Why?
I don't have the ticket stub to prove it; an Old Timer's Game Program from Crosley Field will have to do. I think that Uncle Ed and his Dad were there, at Crosley, that day; when Verban made "history". (see pic B)
Finally, as I cruised by Bloomington, IL one time; decided to visit the Dental Suites of a,
Dr. Emil Verban, Jr - DDS; youngest son of my subject. I gave him a copy of my research work on this project; along with a PSA9 of 1949 Eureka Stamp of his Dad.
While connecting documentation with dialog, I mention the Crosley Field game;
his eyes light up and he says, "My Mom had the game on radio in the car; I remember, all of a sudden, she begins shouting, over and over:
"He Hit a Homer! He hit a Homer!".
Then he looks at me, eyes still wide;
"... and he hit it off Vander Meer!"

Good Feel, felt. Project Complete.

(A)

(B)

(C)

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Last edited by benge610; 08-20-2022 at 11:59 AM.