View Single Post
Old 01-14-2002, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Default Non-baseball vintage card questions

Posted By: Ephuspitch

Just so those of you who are counting know ... I'm one of the many lurkers screwing up the page-view numbes for this board: I check things at least twice a day. I don't post much because I don't know an awful lot about cards. My own collection is HOF pitchers, and I'm at least vaguely familiar with most vintage baseball type-cards, with most of what I know coming from this board right here. (BTW, thanks Runscott ... my wife loved the t206s ... thanks for that beautiful Speaker/Alfred E. Neumann rarity, too!)

On to my questions:
I've just come into possession of some vintage athlete cards, but all my reference books refer to baseball cards only. I'm in the dark.

The cards I have are mostly T218s (bareknuckle boxers, golfers, runners, billiard players), and I've had at least a little bit of luck finding out about them, but I don't know anything about the nuances of T218 values (backs, stars, rarities, etc).

There are two other types of cards in the lot I bought, and I'd like to know more about them, too. If anyone can give me info, or refer me to someplace on the web, I'd appreciate it.

The first type may also be T218s ... I'm just not sure. They have fairly large white borders w/name printed at bottom, in border (whereas the T218s have names printed against background, right?), but the images otherwise look like the T218s. They are all boxers, are a little larger than the T218s, and all have Mecca backs.

The other type cards are smaller than the T218s. On the back it says "Prize Fight Series, No 101 - 25 subjects". The backs are Oxfords (khedival co.) and Surbrugs Intermission (subrug co.)

One of the cards is from "Prize Fight Series, No 102 - 25 subjects."

If anybody can tell me ANYTHING about ANY of these, I'll be much obliged.