View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 01:23 PM

Default Ryan and run support

The documentary, "Facing Ryan" touched upon his run support (or lack of).

His wife, Ruth, was especially irked with the 1973 season when Jim Palmer won the Cy Young over Nolan. That season Ryan won 21 games for the Angels who went 79-83. Palmer's Orioles won their division going 97-65.

In 1973 Ryan also pitched not one, but 2 no-hitters and broke Koufax' single season strikeout record with 383.

Looking at the run support that season for both pitchers, Palmer averaged 4.79 runs/game support and Ryan averaged 3.56 runs support.

If Ryan won all the games he lost by exactly 1 run, he would have ended up Won/Loss of 26-11.

Looking at all seasons since the mound was lowered in the late 1960's (over 50 years of baseball), There has been only 1 season where any pitcher won 26 or more games - 1972 Steve Carlton.

I was a kid 30 minutes from Anaheim Stadium in 1973 and it broke my heart to hear Palmer won the Cy Young that year. I remember sitting in the back of my mom's car in 1974 while opening a pack of 1974 cards, got the Ryan card and was bitter sweet - absolutely thrilled for the pull, yet looking at the card back stats, just couldn't believe they gave the Cy to Palmer. Trying to get over it, but, like Ruth Ryan, doubt I ever will.

Sorry for the mild rant, but that's my 2 cents story for the day.