Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 03:10 PM

Default outbid again

Got outbid on this today…bummer I really had my eye on it…weird German auction on liveauctions…huge two day affair…tons of Porsche memorabilia…from ephemera to car parts….v little antique stuff like this…never seen an auction quite like it…and of course being in Germany started at 1:00AM Pacific Time…watched it all week I was the only bidder…whole thing was kind of weird…very sparse description...condition wasn’t even addressed…one dark photo to go on…

Description Quote:
early '20s, trophy motorist support himself on a wheel and tire with laurel in the hand, in a dress that is typical of its time , on a marble base, height: 29cm

So I dinked around all week with a minimum opening bid of 440 Euro…then yesterday…kept upping it...till about 3 this morning I put one last bid of 600 euro and went to bed...it was only 50 bids away and I was the only bidder but I wasn’t going to stay up for it….then I wake up and it says I lost it and it went for 600 euro…wha the…Only thing I can figure is someone left an in-person top bid of 600 Euro directly with the auction house prior to my bid...and that topped my internet bid…What's strange though is all those "COMPETING BIDS" in the bid history below...I think those were all my bids...so I don't know what to think...

At about 11 ½” including the base…I don’t ever recall seeing anything quite like it….bummer…