View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 08:59 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Photos are (were?) bargains compared to cards. That is definitely not the case now, at least on primo ones. Regardless of PSA 'blessing', they are way up. But not all. Look at RMY last night. Stellar images and well-documented ones were often in four figures, but slightly lesser can go for a few hundred dollars.
Agreed. One thing I've wondered about quite a bit lately is how much of the difference in price between lesser and those primo photos is due to across-the-board demand and how much of price differences can be attributed to amplification of random quirks due to the very thinness of the market for photos (increased chances of only one serious bidder, market being saturated by just a couple of items, etc).

Last night, I had a 1923 Ruth portrait that I thought was stellar and probably wouldn't have sold for less than $3K go for $1800 but had (admittedly nice...but not Ruth!) photos of Ted Williams and Pee Wee Reese sell for for $7200 and $4800 respectively and some really lesser photos (just original news service photos) reach $600-900. I very rarely see that happen with cards, where auctions seem uniformly well followed. With photos, it happens all the time...just a crapshoot if you get two interested parties at the same auction.