View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Default 1930 Goudey- Babe Ruth- questionable authenticity?

Posted By: Steve

MARK,

If you are going to post things on a public forum, please make some REMOTE effort to tell the truth. Let me work backwards here as this is the first that I have heard of this thread as I was away.

1. BARRY AND OTHERS ARE CORRECT. I TOLD HAVERKOS TO SEND THE CARD TO ME TO GET IT TESTED AND IF IT DID NOT COME BACK FROM 1930, HE WOULD GET A REFUND. THIS IS 1000% ACCURATE AND I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED THAT THIS WAS LEFT OUT. HAVERKOS DID NOT WANT TO DO THAT AS I WOULD "HAVE HIS CARD AND THE MONEY"

2. To BOTN, to make obnoxious and inaccurate comments, I suppose is what you do in life. Keep fixing Cracker Jack Walter Johnsons and enjoy your life.

3. Now, from the beginning:

A. We sold this card both times on a consignment basis and it was not owned by us. The first time this was auctioned, I believe May 2005, this had probably 20 different bidders, including many experienced hobbyists, AND NOT ONE WORD POTENTIALLY QUESTIONING ITS AUTHENTICITY WAS STATED TO ME; IF SO, I ABSOLUTELY WOULD HAVE PULLED THE LOT AS HAS ALWAYS BEEN OUR COMPANY POLICY.

B. This item was re-consigned to us a year and a half later by the winning bidder. We again auctioned this off and did hear ONE WORD from anyone questioning this piece as we would have ABSOLUTELY withdrawn this from auction. We did not try to get this slabbed by anyone as we figured because it is so unique the grading companies would be reluctant to grade it. Had Mr Haverkos asked me before the auction if I would guarantee this would be slabbed, I would have said absolutely not given the nature of the card.

It is nice that everyone now questions this but NOT ONE PERSON here can say that one word was emailed or said to me EITHER time this was auctioned. With that said, if the card is not real, and the only way to determine this is to date the paper, which I offered to do at my expense, we will compensate the winning bidder. Leaving out vital details on public forums is frankly a disgusting way of trying to disparage someones reputation.

If anyone wants to go into this in further detail (besides BOTN/SCHWARTZ), feel free to email me or call our office.

Steve Verkman