View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 07:02 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
This is news to me, as I recall reading that the original owner was a dealer who just decided to put some of his stock away for safekeeping, possibly intending to pass them on to his descendants
We had this from Net54 back when they were found in 2012:

"There is no doubt these were never put into caramels. Barry I agree there was a connection between the owner of these cards and the maker of these cards. There is no way in the world someone collected 43 Bridwell's in 8 or better condition, or 15 Cobb's in a 9. With 700 cards recently added to the PSA Pop report from the "Find", maybe we'll inevitably find out who the producer of the cards were as well. Great story, but I'm sure there's more to the come...."

And this from another poster in the same thread:

"Interesting story, but sorry, no tobacco cards. These cards were meant to be handed out with candy. The best we can figure, Carl Hench, a German immigrant who spoke only broken English, received the cards as promotional items, and instead of handing them out, put them in a box in the attic instead. They were in a stack of boxes which contained his children's school papers. (The (one) aunt wasn't the only one who didn't throw things out.) Also in the attic was his brother's steamer trunk from his trip to America, old gas lamp fixtures (after the house was converted to electricity) and the grandma's clothes, still folded up in a dresser.
Jean Hench didn't like to throw anything out, but the house wasn't "full to the rafters" either. Many of the items in the house were of historical value to the family - Carl Hench's 1909 wedding shoes, newspaper clippings (from the flood of 1913, the start and end of WWII and the VietNam war), old toys and games, lots and lots of pictures - things from their lives through the years. Sorry, I don't have the box, but I do have the doll house. If you tell me how to upload a picture, I will gladly do so.
I have been following your chatter since day 1. As Karl said, we have learned much and enjoyed your input. Thank you!"

Maybe I misunderstood this post, but it sounded like they thought they were handed out with the product rather than in packages with caramels.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 01-14-2021 at 10:34 PM.