View Single Post
Old 09-07-2023, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I do know that one sizeable group that I obtained with an envelope, touted as being original did have a Banks in the group.
I wish I could accept that as definitive proof that the Banks belongs in the set (or rather, that it doesn't, since it wasn't in the envelope that I got with the 18 1954 All Stars, and that would mean I bought an incomplete set, LOL!!).
But I can't, because otherwise I'd have to accept that Bob Lemon was part of that set as well, because I received a Bob Lemon included in my envelope when I bought my 1954 All Stars. But Lemon simply couldn't have been part of the set. It is much larger than the others photos, and has a signature in script across his body rather than his name printed in a box in the lower right corner (or anywhere for that matter). The fact that you can't find an example of a Banks in any Cubs team issue is probably more compelling from an evidence standpoint (although I guess it's possible it came from another all star set or possibly was a stand-alone photo used as a promotion for signing at a store opening?).

Yup, I noted as well that the only definitive proof would be obtained in a "break" of a sealed envelope. I did purchase a 1949 Cleveland Indians unopened photo pack recently, so I believe there could be some out there...

It would be nice to have some closure regarding this set!!