View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Twenty years ago, in 2000, I had just graduated college and started my adult life. I was trying to juggle multiple financial balls at that time, which were paying off student loan debt, saving for a house, saving for a newer car, saving for retirement, saving for an emergency fund, etc. I wasn’t making a lot, because I was at my first real world job after just graduating, and didn’t have much disposable income.

A month or so after Christmas, I attended a large regional show to hopefully add a 1960s Mantle to my moderate collection. Although I still had $400.00 in my wallet that I had received from family members for Christmas, I didn’t want to spend more than $150.00.

A dealer had a few Mantles that caught my eye. He also had the green and red portrait T206 Cobbs. They were both in about the same condition and were nice. He wanted $275.00 for the red one and $400.00 for the green one. I really wanted the green one, but it would take all the money I had one me, which was $250.00 more than what I had budgeted to spend. I had that cartoon moment, when a little devil appeared on one shoulder, and the angel on the other.

Unfortunately, the angel won out and I didn’t purchase the green Cobb. I did, however, talk myself into purchasing the red Cobb and left the show. Although I loved the card, I felt buyers remorse later that evening. I had spent $125.00 more than the $150.00 I had planned on spending at my savings’ accounts expense.

18 years later, I had the red Cobb graded. It came back a solid 3. I know that green one was just as nice and was also at least a 3 - only if that devil would’ve won out that day and I had spent a mere $125.00 more. I guess the red Cobb is a nice consolation prize.