View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 12:52 AM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
here are a couple that I do not recall seeing... also one of my favorite photos of all time is of him... will try and track it down

Al, unfortunately, that 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo Miņoso should never have been graded as it was cut from a sheet within the past few years. Both PSA and SGC are guilty of grading cards cut from these sheets. If you look at the pop reports from both companies, you'll find the normal grades for Caramelo Deportivo cards. Ones, Twos, maybe a Three if it's high-grade. And then you'll see cards like this Miņoso in a 6, which does not exist in either year of Caramelo Deportivo cards.

Here is what happened: A group of uncut sheets, maybe as many as 10(?) somehow survived all these years without being destroyed. They were meant to be destroyed because the print on the back was extremely faded and light, and therefore not worthy of being cut into cards and distributed. But some Cuban hero saved them! And that's why so many "high-grade" 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo cards survive to this day. I know of at least two complete sheets that are still intact. I have one, and another collector has one. But each sheet has 3 Martin Dihigos, 3 Ray Dandridges, and 3 Orestes "Minnie" Miņosos. The temptation proved to be too much much for some greedy scammers who cut these sheets up and sent the cards in to grading companies. Any high-grade 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo card will have this extremely light back. The sheets made their way to the U.S. and were cut up and sent in to the grading companies, who graded them without question, for some reason. Any grading company could contact me at any time without every having to worry about compensation. I've never taken a single dollar to consult with a grading company or any kind of authentication agency. But they didn't. And they should all know that by now.

Al, can you post a scan of the back of that Miņoso? I would bet my life that it is extremely light and barely legible. Especially compared to a legit 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo card.

The back should look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946-47 Felices Minoso b.jpg (153.7 KB, 191 views)