View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevvyg1026 View Post

I understand this can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt without seeing some uncut material, but I believe this is what Topps did in 1963 (i.e., the last two series were 66 cards each, with no SPs. If it isn't, and the price guides are correct, then there would have to be SPs in both series, and the SPs would have to occur in multiples of 11 (except for the checklists). Having four or five SPs with different border colors and/or inset colors just doesn't make sense.
It makes perfect sense. There are uneven numbers of color cards (not in elevens) and there would be 88 cards of each color on the sheet. That would mean that there would be DPs in every block of 22 for the 7th series and cards missing from every block of 22 cards in the 6th series. That would create a situation where there are unequal numbers of cards in every color, meaning that the SPs would have to be from different colors.

The SPs do occur in multiples of 11. We are just not sure of which cards they all are. We know Killebrew is tougher than other stars (Brock, McCovey). We know the Yankess and Mets that are tougher. We know the Freehan RC is tough. Other cards that are short printed just don't have the demand to differentiate them as SPs and remember we are not talking about 2 to 1, but 4 to 3. It is most likely that there are 33 SP cards but we are only seeing for sure the highest demand cards from that group as short printed.