View Single Post
Old 06-14-2022, 09:05 AM
Chuck Tapia

I was at the game, but I was only 11. We had seats at the time on the field level 16 row D seats 7 & 8. They were a block of 4 seats on the aisle and right next to me was this old guy in a horse blanket leisure coat and tie. AND IT WAS HOT! I'll never forget My grandfather whispered in my ear, "that's Casey Stengel". He signed my program 3-times when he found out we had the same name, I knew the way my grandfather said it, he was "somebody" I should know. Besides the big 3 that were right in front of me. Unreal. The horse blanket that Casey had on was telling of the date I believe because had he been coaching the old timers game one time. I remember him wearing a Funny Jersey with The yankees/Dodgers and I think Mets on it too. He would have had that Jersey on instead of the leisure sports jacket and tie.

It may have been an old timers day (game) that day as well but I can't be sure? I think they were usually towards the end of June? Old timers games were also on Sunday's and we went to every Sunday home game from 1969-1975. It was not unusual to see stars like that there for an old timers game back then. Invited guests also sat on the old club level and that's where the good food was and the menu likely came from. If any of those guys had been there the day I sat next to Casey, my grandfather probably would have recognized them and told me too. He also sat next to Carl Hubbell once and got him to autograph a ball for me in those same seats, when I wasn't there during a weekday game though.

Anyway, great item!

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 06-14-2022 at 09:11 AM.