View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 03:54 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageloz View Post
Hi John

Thanks for the posts and sharing of your journey, it’s been an interesting read for me as I try to do the same (although at a much slower pace!). I started with the goal of completing a PSA graded low number set, which I competed about 2 years ago. I recently decided at give the highs a crack, although at this point I only have 8. The lows I was looking for mid grade (PSA3-6), the highs will most likely by PSA1-3 (the only one of note I have is Mathews in a PSA1). Hoping to focus on it a bit on this in 2021, maybe target 20 or so in the next year. Interesting to read your perspective on lowering your grading threshold as your work through. It’s such a large set and so dictated by availability that it’s almost a foregone conclusion. Good luck with the last few cards, it will be a great accomplishment when you’re done. The question is, where do you go from there?!
There are few places better to start than the Mathews though While the highs are naturally tough to start at this point in the marketplace, it could be worse. When I looked back at a couple SCDs from the junk wax era, it was surprising to see that low-grade highs (other than Jackie Robinson and, of course, Mantle) aren't that much more expensive than back then. While if someone is trying to start collecting something like PSA 9 or 10 '80s football or '86 Fleer basketball, you're paying like 5-8 times what the HOF rookie cards sold for one year ago

From here, I plan on slowing way down for awhile. Have been fortunate enough to land most of what I hoped to get (across everything). Eventually I want to fill in the entire '51 to '85 baseball sets run, but all the '60s (except '67) and a lot of the '70s remain. But it's the ones I'm least interested in that are left, so it's far from a rush.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 12-24-2020 at 05:39 PM.