View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 01:20 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Default Anyone starting to collect something new during these crazy times?

I started to collect records. My wife bought me a record player last December for my birthday and I bought a few records on ebay here and there and went to the local record shop a few times. Maybe it's just me, but I am just not into sports right now during the pandemic. So, while in quarantine, I've been pretty heavily putting a record collection together and really enjoying it. I started off buying the stuff I was into as a teen which was American Punk (Dead Kennedy's, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Butthole Surfers, Dead Milkmen, etc.) and British New Wave (The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Depeche Mode, Psychedelic Furs, etc.). But just like with baseball cards, as I started collecting and researching, my interests have really expanded to other eras of music like late 60's "garage rock", early 70's "proto-punk", the late 70's NYC scene at CBGB's and Max's Kansas City, and all the early British Punk bands. I don't really know too much about pressings and etchings but I'm learning as I'm going. Plus, since I'm working from home, it's relaxing to be able to having something playing in the background all day. Here's just some recent pickups:

The Beach Boys: "Pet Sounds"
The Sonics: "Here are the Sonics"
The Kitchen Cinq: "Everything But"
The Stooges: "Self Titled"
MC5: "Kick out the Jams" (uncensored)
Buzzcocks: "Another Music in a Different Kitchen"
Descendents: "Milo Goes to College"
The Young and the Useless: "Real Men Don't Floss" (Ad-Rock's band before the Beastie Boys)

Has anybody else started up a new collection that they want to share?