View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 04:50 PM
Matt

Default What it's all about.

So a friend who runs a little league asked if I'd display some cards for the kids during this event they had today. Was blown away by how these little boys knew and enjoyed seeing old players from Cal Ripken to Mickey Mantle. Was also cool to see how many kids knew such details and history of certain players; they would say how their dads' favorite players were this one or that one and how their dads gave them all this knowledge. It was a constant flow of kids, too. Just shows how alive the legends will always remain. One kid was telling me all about the 71 Munson, how he has it, knew Munson's whole story. Another kid was telling me about his Retirado Koufax card that he and his dad just got to complete their Koufax run. Was just awesome.

Going in, I was curious to see what cards kids would gravitate towards.The two cards the kids wanted to hold most were the Churchman Ruth and 52T Mick. The painting like quality of the Churchman's was a hit. And of course nearly every kid instantly recognized the 52T Mick. They especially loved autos. I had a dual signed Mantle/Mays card in the display and that was another big hit with them. Overall was really cool to see little kids' reactions to cards, it both brought me right back to that age and reminded me how the hobby bridges generations. Apparently there's even a show on MLB TV about cards that always spotlights vintage stuff.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-13-2024 at 04:54 PM.