View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 01:01 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
The next time I go into an extreme over-reaction over a card, I hereby promise I won't cut it up and flush it, or otherwise destroy it, rather, I will offer it up via this forum. If it hppens, I will probably just give it away, free. Fair enough? I seriously do not think it will ever happen again, however.
As a counterpoint to my sometimes annoying brand of humor, allow me to offer this:

Most of us have done something asinine with at least a few of our cards. Whether or not they'l admit it, at some point in their lives, Net54 board members have destroyed cards in bicycle spokes, lit them on fire (I haven't done that in a while...I swear) or thrown them away.

And yes, some people have torn or cut them up. Occasionally, it happens by accident when opening an envelope. Other times, the act is purposeful. I imagine more than a few Barry Bonds cards got destroyed on August 7, 2007. As an aside, the board would likely have cheered and given you a round of applause if you flushed cardboard depicting the "home run king."

Your post likely struck a chord with people because the card was a player many of us collect...from a set that many of us collect. In my humble opinion, it was rather like watching someone light their cigar with a hundred dollar bill.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra