View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 11:59 AM
James M

I was moderately obssessed with the set registry when I was assembling a fully graded set of 1953 Topps, and my set was ranked in the top 75, and that was when I had 80+ cards at PSA getting graded. When I had gotten everything back, I'd have been in the top 35-40 overall.

But I honestly kind of lost the passion for fully assembling that set because of the set registry. My amount of money I can invest in cards is finite, unlike some of those at the top of the list, and so even if I devoted all my resources to that 1953 set, I'd likely never crack the top 5-10. And really, what is the prize for doing that? I'm a competitive person, but I realized this wasn't something where I was really even competing in the same game.

I sort of re-calibrated and decided I wanted to collect more sets, especially pre-war and tobacco non-sports cards, and to do that I would be buying raw and lower condition cards. And ultimately, I realized I am fine with that. So I doubt I will ever get involved in the PSA set registry game again, especially since grading commons is likely to be financially impractical for the foreseeable future.