View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I haven't heard anyone say the registry is the cause of the rising prices. I have heard (and said) that the registry is 1 of a handful of reasons why cards of equivalent grade in PSA holders usually have a good sized price premium over SGC.
Maybe on BlowOut more than here, but "the Registry" does often seem to have the starring role in being blamed/credited for any number of issues ranging from PSA's wild success over competing TPGs, to the reason the alterations scandal will never be properly dealt with (i.e., the wealthy high-enders will never tolerate their sets being downgraded) to individual posters
complaining/commiserating about how they always seem to just lose out bidding for specific cards they want (and how they surmise they are consistently being stretched beyond their budget because reckless "registry collectors" just can't help themselves.)

Many posts do seem to take the Registry to be beyond just one of several factors, to the governing factor, the genius idea that made PSA irresistible. . . But maybe it's being recycled among a small cadre and not as common a view as this would make it seem.