View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I apologize if that last post came across as flippant. I really am curious to know more about how these scorecards were printed, and thought more forum members would have shared insight.

I do not recall pre-printed lineups showing up in the Twins'scorecards/programs at games I attended beginning mid-1960's, and it seems most other teams I've seen from that era lack them also, although again I have spent almost no time studying the matter. It would be a nice feature unless it proved to be too difficult to continue, so I am wondering when the practice waned. Then again, apparently the Cardinals ran them until 1982, so it was not overly difficult. I saw this in an article found after 10 minutes of online research:

"Starting lineups appeared in Cardinals scorecards through the 1982 season, facilitated by the luxury of having a printing press on-site at both Busch Stadium and Sportsman’s Park. The drill for getting lineup information from the manager’s office onto the scorecard was, literally, an overnight mission. Shortly after the end of a game, a member of the Cardinals’ PR staff visited the home and visitors clubhouses to retrieve each manager’s probable starting lineup for the next day’s game. The information was whisked off to the press room – located behind the right-field corner at Busch and under the first-base stands at Sportsman’s – and delivered to a two-man team of union printers that had just clocked in at the ballpark. Setting type by hand, the pressmen cranked up the old press and ran scorecards past dawn, typically 10,000 to 15,000 per game.

Kip Ingle, a member of the club’s media relations staff through the 1980s, remembers the drill in its twilight years.“Whitey (Herzog) was great, he always had his lineup ready,” Ingle recalled.“The visitors clubhouse could be another story. One manager, in particular, always seemed to be more occupied with visitors, and you’d be trying to pull the lineup out of his back pocket while he was entertaining guests."
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl...rd_history.pdf
It looks like the older cardinals ones were just scorecards, a single sheet folded.
10-15K overnight is still pretty impressive.

https://vsaauctions.com/1960-cardina...-lot18346.aspx

Stapling it into a program is the slow part.

Well that's interesting... Looked up the company that made ours, and the current model doesn't look any different. It's also capable of running 5000 books an hour. Unless it's really changed since 1980-81, 15K programs overnight would be doable. I can't imagine it changed much between the 50's and 80's. Even if it was half speed, adding another machine and operator would fix that.
http://www.rosbackcompany.com/Rosbac...20Stitcher.pdf

The setup we had was almost identical to the bindery system shown at the lower left of the last page.