View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 11:32 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
How do you not like the '55B Mantle? It's my favorite Mantle card. Certainly nicer than the '67, '59, '54B, '57, and '68 Mantles.
Each unto their own. For example, I would disagree hard that the '55 B Mantle is nicer than the '59 Topps, but it's ok that Gr8 feels differently. I think the '59, especially those that survived with that fire engine red background is just a classic looking vintage card. The Mick's portrait pose may be boring to some, but it's a still young, contemplative Mantle who had more great years ahead of him. For me the design with the circular photograph and slanted lower case typeset is the best part; it just screams 1950's.

Truth be told though I like the '55 B as well. I love neat designs, which is why I love '59 Topps, but also '55 B. The TV set idea was years ahead of it's time, and I love all those cards, particularly the Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks, because they are their only Bowman cards.

If I would give any advice to the OP, it's DON'T buy a card you truly don't like only out of peer pressure or the desire to complete a run or something. If you know you will not be happy in the end, then there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not much a fan of the '67 Mantle. I've had a few before, but never kept them for long.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-02-2020 at 11:34 AM.