View Single Post
Old 06-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Legal assistance needed with PSA possibly

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

In retrospect, I do have to agree that blaming the USPS may be premature, However, if PSA is adamant that they never had the card and Dan is sure he sent it, then the USPS or one of their employees must be looked at if for no other reason then to rule them out. So far as to whether or not a package can be tampered with and go undetected, it can happen. Not often, but it is possible. One of the ways it could be done, under the radar, so to speak, Is if a mail handler finds the package in a distribution bin and seeing that it's headed for PSA, they could remove the package from the bin and bring it to the area where they examine AIRMAIL packages. In this area all AIRMAIL packages with improper or missing content tags are often carefully opened and examined for dangerous articles and then resealed. The USPS has been doing this regularly since 9/11. Damaged parcels are also repackaged either in these areas or close to them.

The scenario could work like this:

A mail handler by himself or with an accomplice could remove a PSA bound package from a bin, bring it to a repacking area as if it where a damaged package, then without doing anything blatantly obvious that would call attention to themselves by a floor supervisor, they could cut open the package with a boxcutter, remove the desired item, carefully remove the old tape, then carefully retape the box and then place back into a parcel bin. Then if the package arrived at PSA among the hundreds of others, the repackaged parcel could go unnoticed at a glance. Any mail handler could do this with any type of package (Priority, etc.) that comes in to a main distribution facility. The only type of package that would prove difficult is registered mail and I think Express, as they come through in locked fabric bags and are generally handled by special personnel. Keep in mind that if this does turn out to be the case, then chances are the guilty parties have done it more then once. I have actually heard stories of mail handlers and clerks at the South Postal Annex (a main distribution facility in South Boston, MA) going into the employees bathrooms during breaks and opening Christmas cards in the search for cash. This was a real problem for a time and the USPS put a stop to it. I'm not suggesting that the USPS condones this behavior, nor am I suggesting that it's rampant. It's just that it is possible. No security is 100% fool proof and people are people. I'm inclined to believe that the truth of where this card went lies somewhere between the USPS and PSA. I think that Dan is taking the right approach by contacting PSA, retaining legal representation, if needed, and asking for advice. This way every explanation can be examined and PSA and the USPS can be given a chance to say there piece and do there own investigating. I do agree with other members of the board that unless PSA can tie up this loophole, then submissions should be reconsidered by collectors. At least until PSA comments on this issue publicly. If they film the packages being opened and state that fact, then I fail to understand how they can tell Dan that there is no film. In my opinion, either they film these packages being opened or they don't. It should be either or, it can't be somewhere in-between, otherwise customer confidence is compromised. Anyway thats just my lengthy opinion.