View Single Post
Old 01-28-2022, 12:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
We used to live in a house located near the top of a hill. Because of its location we had a perfect view of a large area of the city from the backyard. One day I was outside pushing my toddler daughter in a swing on the back patio. All of a sudden there was a loud explosion up in the sky. I looked up and there was a fireball and giant puff of black smoke and I thought, "Why would they be shooting off fireworks during the day?" It was only March and around 5 pm. Suddenly I noticed a wing of a plane spinning in the air near the black smoke and saw another plane heading toward the ground in a corkscrew spin which I watched most of the way to the ground. I stood there in disbelief and then ran inside tell my wife what I had just witnessed. Later I found out both of the planes were small Cessnas and one had been heading toward landing at our local airport and the other had been descending. Our local airport doesn't have active control and apparently the pilots never saw each other and had a violent collision. There were two people in one plane and a single pilot in the other. Unfortunately, all three were killed in the collision. Ironically, the plane I saw crash into the ground landed on the old condo complex I used to rent and spread wreckage across an 8 block area. Luckily no one on the ground was killed.
Wow David, that one ranks up there. It is miracle even more people weren't hurt or killed.