View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 03:08 PM
Ben North

Can't top that. I have just missed being in at least 6 major multi car pile ups.

Here are 2 that happened days apart. Went to St Louis for the Astros series when Clemens was pitching for them. About 10 miles before you get to the stadium on 70 interstate a pickup pulled out in front of me. It is only 3 lanes each way so it was packed. He had a kayak in the back that wasn't tied down. I was like I need to get out from behind. I got in the outside lane and when I got almost beside them the kayak flew out and went through the windshield of the car behind them. HUGE pile up.

Then when leaving St Louis in about the same place.There was no shoulder on the road. There was a big drop off at the edge of the road. I was in the far right lane and something just felt weird and I knew I needed to get out of that lane. Maybe 10 seconds later a car around 100' ahead in that lane dropped its front tire off the edge of the road. When the bumper hit the road it did a 180 and I just missed another HUGE pile up.

Another St Louis story. It was 1999 and the Cubs and Cardinals played each other their last 3 games. I like many others had $800 a piece bleacher seats we purchased when Sammy and Mark were both ahead of breaking the HR record. I was driving down MLK to the stadium. Had a guy going way to fast pull out of the Department of Social Services and t-bone me. Luckily it smashed the front of his car so bad he couldn't drive it away. Rental car company tried to make me pay for their car because the driver that hit me had no insurance, drivers license, and gave the PoPo a fake name.