Thread: Favorite
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Jonathan

While primarily a vintage equipment and memorabilia guy, I certainly dabbled in cards as a kid and again more recently. Even as a kid I loved the 'old stuff' and was blessed to have parents who supported the habit.

I'm 43 years old now and still have the fondest memories of tuning into WPIX11 to catch the end of Cheers just before the Yankee broadcasts would start. As a kid I listened to Phil Rizzuto call the games and, somehow, he ended up becoming my favorite Yankee...even more so than the players on the field. So, I collected Rizzuto cards and have all them from the '41 Double Play to the '56 Topps. My favorite issue however was the 53' Bowman card that features Rizzuto and Billy Martin. I cherish this card as it was a gift from my Dad who I lost this past year.

Another card I picked up while antiquing with my Dad was this '48 Bowman Musial RC. I couldn't have been more than 12 years old when he bought for me at a local paper show.

Fast forward to now, and I've been putting time into completing a set of Mantle bubble gum cards...just the Bowman and Topps issues in very humble, collector grade condition. I've got all but two now with the rest of my life...and my life savings ...to add the last of them!

Lots of favorites...I'm glad that this thread got started...thanks OP.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rizz Martin.jpg (41.7 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg Stan.jpg (33.3 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg mantle collage.jpg (76.1 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg 52 Bowman.jpg (45.1 KB, 356 views)