View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 11:00 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It would be interesting to know the source of the claim that Alan Ray refused to divulge where he got the card. It's out there now on a couple of sites but without attribution. I mean, who would have asked him other than Sevchuk? I don't think it was Bill because unless I have this wrong, Bill did not deal directly with Ray, only through Sevchuk.
I think it may be a slight misstatement. It seems Ray refused to publicly state where he got the card (which seems confirmable, he never has), which doesn’t mean much one way or another (it could be for any number of reasons, wanting to keep a source private, not seeking publicity to his father, or something as grand as not wanting to steer attention to a reprinting operation or by giving a lie that might be proven false later). That he did this doesn’t mean he didn’t or wouldn’t have told his dealer partner on the piece. On its face, it’s not an oddity. His business partner is in the know on the details, more than what is said in public. That’s normal. Of course, people in general have little relationship to honesty whatsoever, and tend to say whatever they think is beneficial to themselves in a particular moment without regard for truth. Many seem to struggle to separate their narrative from actual truth and come to conflate the two as the same exact thing. It’s not a lot of evidence, just one testimony. That testimony makes sense, Wagners have been found in odder places than a 1980’s flea market, it is internally consistent, and it doesn’t contradict anything we know to be true. Any extant research would be immensely valuable in evaluating if this seems the likeliest case or not.