View Single Post
Old 08-12-2023, 03:07 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokegchris View Post
So I'm working on building a 180 back set ..... continuing on with the conversation above. Interestingly I found both versions of the Early Wynn coin with a 180 back. Do you think this was switched or produced that way? Also I assume all the variations not caused by the expansion draft were only produced with one back style .... like the red button vs white button, the name variation, the Oriole vs Orioles etc .... or do you think some were produced with both backs?? Also are these variations also found in the Canadian coins??? Kind of an interesting group of coins with not a lot of easily available info. I guess with "oddball" sets it runs under the radar!!!
The original 21 dropped coins were available in both 180 and 200 backs. As you noted the 21 coins that took their place only come in 200 backs.

The rare coins Williams name on right, Brandt OrioleS, Bailey C level with ear and others that are all part of the early test printing only come in 180 backs.

As Cliff noted there are no variations in the Shirriff set and you will find none of the dropped 21 coins in that set.

The red buttons/white buttons gets a little confusing. The early test prints with 180 backs of those where there are variations have red buttons only. But you can find later printings of red and white buttons in 200 backs.

However the 180 back set has all red buttons and the Shirriff set has all white buttons.

Got it?