View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 01:15 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokegchris View Post
I have a question perhaps someone can answer. I understand the 180 vs 200 backs and how they came about. My question is for the coins 1 - 180 is the 180 or 200 back more rare? I put together a set off eBay and at the end of the day only ended up with 5 coins that were 180 backs. While some people list the back type on the listing .... there does not seem to be a price difference.... but If I only randomly got 5 180 backs out of 264 purchased it would seem to indicate the 180's are rarer. It looks like both versions of many of the variations were produced with both backs which is interesting. For example I have a Zimmer Cub and Met variation both with 200 backs .... so even when they added the expansion teams and changed the backs to declare the new 200 total they continued to make the Cub version with the new 200 back even though they added the Met version with the 200 back. Given the nature of collecting one would think both versions of the first 180 coins would be listed and the lower "print version" would have a premium attached. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone have info on this??
Chris:

As Cliff said the 180 shells are most definitely rarer than the 200 shells. It all has to do with the timing of when Salada converted over from the 180's to the 200 shells. I MAY have that info in my company records which I can not access currently. However, there are many more 200 backs that were produced/issued.

As for your Zimmer question above, again it is a matter of timing, as well as you have to remember the coins were printed someplace and the plastic shells somewhere else. It is moat likely that they could have had for example 5000 sheets printed with the Zimmer, Hodges Dodgers, Neal Dodgers etc. when they first got in the "new" 200 shells. So they would have just inserted the coins from these "old" 5000 sheets into the new 200 back shells once they ran out of the 180 back shells.

The Zimmer with the Cubs was issued first in the 180 shell, then at some point it was decided to go to the 200 back. Most likely once the Mets and Colts expansion teams were announced, but before any artwork could be changed from the Cubs to the Mets as they later did. In my eyes because of this the Cubs Zimmer is much tougher to find than the Mets for the simple reason the Mets coin was in production for a longer period of time. And again as Cliff noted you won't find a Zimmer Mets in a 180 shell unless someone switched them out.

As I think I mentioned in my earlier post I have internal records saying to drop for example Ashburn for Bob Will. This had a date on it say Feb 14, 1962. A new batch of printing of the coins could have been ordered 3/1 with the Ashburn being dropped and Will added along with the the other changes. These dates are just pulled out of the air by me.

Hope this convoluted information makes sense to you. Short answer 180 back coins are rarer in number, but most people collecting the set do not care which back their coins have.

Here are photos of an original sheet and an original sheet with the 21 changes. The Colts and Mets were printed on their own sheets.

Just two mentions for a quick reference to tell the difference between the two sheets. Bottom row shows the Giants. On the first sheet fourth in from the left you see Harvey Kueen. and the row above Cardinals first on left is Cunningham. On the second sheet these two have been replaced by Pagan and Minoso respectively. You should be able to see the other changes on the two sheets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 sheet 1.jpg (198.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Uncut.jpg (172.5 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by whiteymet; 06-02-2023 at 01:33 PM.