View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 01:36 PM
Bob Donaldson

A few comments from a 58 year old Red Sox fan from Boston.

First ,I don't think I could ever hate an athlete but certainly dislike many, probably no more than Jack Tatum who I would put on this list even though he was Football. As a lot of the players mentioned have a Red Sox connection I will comment on some:

A.J. Pierzynski
I don't know anyone who cared for him and I've heard that he was very disliked among his peers

Alex Rodriguez
Yes to this list although in the last 3-5 years he has really redeemed himself with his on air work and seemingly 'nice guy' persona

Babe Ruth
No. He was not equally hated as of loved during his playing days. This statement is borderline preposterous. He was no saint but he was loved a lot more than hated

Bill Buckner
The fans in Boston NEVER hated him. When he cam back to Boston he got a standing ovation. Most Boston fans blame the manager, not Buckner. He should not have been on the field.

Carl Everett
Don't know anyone who liked him.

Curt Schilling
Should be one of the most loved ex-players in Boston - but he opens his mouth. Heard him once on his radio show - sad.

Hank Aaron
There was a very small percentage of racist bigots who hated him. The same people who burn crosses and wear white sheets. They are/were definitely in the minority.

Jackie Robinson
Ditto, although more people and more vocal. I would guess that a large percentage of whites were in his corner

Jim Rice
Surly. Could be very unlikable, but could also turn on the charm.

Manny Ramirez
In Boston people would shake their heads and say "Manny being Manny"

Pedro Martinez
Maybe one of the most beloved athlete (in Boston at least). Don Zimmer charged him, not the other way around.

Roger Clemens
I can see him being on the list, from a Boston perspective. However, if he had just said "I'm sorry, I made a mistake", he'd be in the HOF and having his number retired at Fenway with a standing ovation