View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default Article on card restoration

Posted By: honus3415

Card restoration is a SERIOUS issue, and one that doesn't appears to be warranting enough attention by our beloved grading comapnies.

Now I'm not talking about an erased initial or a removed wax. I'm talking about restoration through alteration with the intent to deceive.

Knowing a card is restored and submitting it for grading while knowing that the company rejects such cards is an attempt to deceive AT THE VERY LEAST the grading company!!! This is WRONG!!! And if not CRIMINAL, should be.

When a holdered item has been identified as having been professionally altered....the grading companies, at the very least, should release all other serial numbers that are associated with that submitors order(s). This would allow current holders of those items to examine them more closely, although most restorations would probably still go undetected by the average collector...it might possibly allow for the discover of a "pattern" of INTENTIONAL DECEPTION by any given individual with CRIMINAL INTENT. Then based on any additional discoveries, more serial numbers could be released of that individual's submissions.

Sure there are unknowing submission by honest collectors, we all realize that...and the facts will clear the innocent.

The unfortunate part of this sad saga is that we as collectors are the end losers. Not a big problem you say....well neither is gangrene unless it goes untreated.

I realize this is getting the cart before the horse, but the barn door was left open. Agressive action is the only recourse the hobby has at the moment to restore confidence in it's slabbed population.

This is not a problem that can rest solely on the shoulders of just the grading companies or just the collecting population....but it is one that working together that we can eliminate from our hobby.

honus3415ism:

A husband commented to his wife after seeing her looking into a mirror for half an hour (1/48th of a day). "Honey you can't improve on perfection".

Her reply, "Yes you can".

There is ALWAYS room for improvements....the greatest mistake is to not acknowledge it.