View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Matt

Default Rank These Cards? Thanks.

So I've drafted the following list of some of my favorite cards, based sheerly on aesthetic appeal-- which of course is highly subjective.

Because my collection has always been primarily Post-War (exceptions being US Caramel Ruth, 1933 Goudey Gehrig, and 1941 DiMaggio), I am not as well versed in the importance or market standing of these cards, or their prospects for holding value over the long haul.

I'm hoping that while aesthetic appeal is quite subjective, what will be less so are (A) the cards' relative importance in the hobby, (B) their desirability to collectors in general, and (C) their value prospects (i.e., if God-forbid you had to sell due to unforeseen events, which would be safest).

Some have said to me that as younger collectors enter the hobby and older ones move on, interest in older players (to whom younger collectors have no emotional connection) will wane. I don't know how much I agree with that, since I never saw Gehrig play and he is still a legendary, heroic figure to me. I would assume that Ruth at least is a "name" immune to such declining interest.

Given the immense wealth of knowledge here, I was wondering if anyone would help me by ranking the cards in terms of those criteria above, so I could better decide in what order to pursue them. Thanks so much.

M101 Ruth
D304 (Brunners) Cobb
T206 Cobb Bat Off
1914 CJ Cobb
1914 CJ Joe Jackson
1933 Goudey Ruth #53
1934 Goudey Gehrig #37
1932 US Caramel Gehrig

As a PS I would ask if it is better/safer to go for multiple cards from this list in lower grade, or just one in the highest grade affordable?

Thanks.

Best,

Matt

Last edited by MattyC; 03-26-2013 at 06:38 AM.