View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Default criminals and heroes of the t206 set

Posted By: Catherine Petroski

Thank you, Jodi Birkholm!

When I first saw the facsimile of Bob Groom's "autograph" in Deadball Stars of the American League, I couldn't believe my eyes. It is definitely not authentic. Bob Groom was my grandfather, and I grew up in his household. The family owned coal mines, and my grandfather was the man who signed the company checks, so I know well what his signature looked like. What makes the bogus "autograph" all the more egregious is the fact that I submitted high resolution scans of Bob Groom's signature to the book's editor and for whatever reason, he chose to use one from an autograph dealer-collector.

The signature in the picture you attached indeed appears to be an authentic one. If there is some way I could get a high resolution scan of it, I would very much appreciate it. I'd also like to learn how you came to possess it and what you know of its provenance. I have just signed on to Net54 so I don't know if you will be able to reach me through the board or not. If not, please email me at petroski@mindspring.com.

Many thanks --
Catherine Groom Petroski