View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 09:13 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Normal routine Spike, Taylor, and I out the door at 8AM this time we swing by to pick up Glenn and we are parked and inside the venue by 9. Today I spent $1,707 and walked 12,035 steps or 5.35 miles according to my watch.
First stop I buy a full set of 1979 Donruss Rockstars 66 card set for $35 then off to William Chappells table.
There comes a time in every set collectors journey when you just have to bite the bullet or come off your wallet as we say. I have been working on my Play Ball sets for many years and today I purchased several 1939 and 13 from 1940. Some of the 1940 Play Ball include Honus Wagner, Chuck Klein, Connie Mack, Harry Heilman,
Napoleon Lajoie, Heinie Manush, Harry Hooper, Red Fabre, Frank Chance, and John McGraw what a start to the day!
Other pick ups include two 1938 Goudeys and I finished my 1960 football team emblem set adding the G B Packers.
I found a $20 bargain box and bought a duplicate 1935 National Chicle football card and two needed Goudey Sport Kings. In this $20 box was a pile of 1972 Topps football high numbers and if you don’t know these are very tough cards. I told the dealer I would buy them all if he sold them to me at $10 each which he agreed to and I pulled all 25 of them including three Otis Taylor, Len Dawson, two Jim Marshall, Willie Lanier, Bubba Smith, two Charlie Taylor among them. Was excited to get that deal. Found a dollar bargain box and pulled 20 or so 1955 Bowman baseball and 1962 Fleer football cards but ended up buying the whole box of about 1,000 cards for $100 mostly 1959 1960 1961 Topps and not all commons either these will be set upgrades then into the duplicates box. I had to take a trip to the car to offload at this point lol. Spent the rest of the day wandering around and making purchases when I found something interesting.
Had dinner with about 12 other OBC members at Hangtime a sports bar then back at the Air B&B at about 9:30 to full for a Gelato stop lol.
The show was busy but seemed busier yesterday. Phone and internet worked better today but still not great. It’s as cold as a meat locker inside the show I wish I’d brought a sweat shirt lol.
707 Sportscards had a tribute showcase to Jim Fleck who I did not know but do know that many thought a great deal of this man so I took a picture I hope it turned out ok.
It’s exhausting but really having a blast and looking forward to tomorrow!
Larry

Nice report Larry, I missed seeing you and the OBC guys this year as I skipped the trip to AC. Sounds like you are getting some nice bargains and having a blast. That is what this show is all about.