View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 12:33 PM
Todd Schultz

I do not find the OP’s idea crazy in the least, although I doubt it will ever come to pass. I suggested many, many years ago (10+) that I would favor a strict Authentic & Unaltered grade for the slabs, and let the eye appeal take over from there. With the registry now firmly entrenched in the hobby, that simply ain’t ever gonna happen– way too many collectors with the “mine is better than yours and I’ll prove it” mentality.

However, I would tweak the idea so as to start the grading at 5. It is my understanding that at that level, there can be no creases or wrinkles in the card that might escape the notice of someone looking at a scan, so a buyer could have some assurance that it was free of that condition. Below that I would have no problem with a system that just notified you of alterations– a grade of Authentic-Altered. IMO, most pre-war collectors don’t give much of a hoot about numeric grades, and many to most sets are not capable of assembly in high grades anyway. Any alteration could be designated on the flip, whether trimmed, marked, erasure, color added, etc. Authentic & unaltered cards would simply be subject to the eye test.

I assume (but do not know) that most post-war collectors don’t hunt for cards graded under 5 as it is, at least those who favor the registry. There are of course exceptions, but I doubt the proposed change would cause all that much outrage in the post-war community. For those who insist on being on top numerically, they can simply stand on their existing collections and/or seek out old graded cards that still bear the vestiges of the 1-4 grading system. Knock yourselves out.

My two or three cents.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 09-29-2022 at 12:34 PM.