View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 AM
JeR@Me

Default Roanoke vs Chattanooga ? After Championship ??

This is the 1910 pennant winning Roanoke Tigers of the Virginia League. Many of these players were featured on T209 Contentnea and T206 cards.
The card was sent by a player, presumably shortstop Eugene Newton. The message on the reverse mentions that the team barely topped the league and was postmarked in September of 1910.[/QUOTE]

Awesome PC! Love the info on the reverse, and of special interest to me is why would a Champion team from Virginia League after a long season, head down to Chattanooga of the Southern Association for 5 games late in September!? Perhaps the team wasn't going and the player was going to jump in and play with the Lookouts (switch teams & leagues all the time back then...) or get a look for the following year !?! It's interesting to me as it gives us insight into how things were back then... In our time, when you win the title, the season is over. I double checked and the post mark was Sept 12th, so I thought it might be a left over pc, sent around spring training time as 2 out of league opponents would shake some rust off, but no... Its definitely a great timeline piece. Love it. Thnx for sharing !

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 03-29-2015 at 07:38 AM.