View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Thanks for all the positive feedback, much of it left before the pictures were appearing. Thank you Kevin for noting that they were not showing up and getting ahold of me. They were linked from my Net54 album which I had marked as private (oops). Discussing negatives is a difficult subject matter and I can't imagine following my text without the images.

Thanks to those who posted their Vermont Find prints. Flynn and Doran seem to be the most common subjects but I've also seen Allen, Boyce, Burns, Farrell, Wilson, and Whitacre.

From the list of negatives, there are some real interesting poses. The negative I'd like to see most (not yet studied) is that which purportedly shows Healy and Mathews (2 player). This could have been from one of three photo shoots; 1887 when Egyptian Healy was photographed with Indy (Gray Studio), 1888 when Mathews was photographed with Philadelphia (Gilbert & Bacon), or 1889 when Healy was again photographed but now with Washington (Merritt & Van Wagner). 1887 would be the least likely while both the 1888 and 1889 photo shoots are strong possibilities. Regardless of when, it is interesting to see two players on a card that didn't play with one another. Mathews was retired after the 1887 season but that didn't stop Goodwin & Co. from issuing his cards in 1888. He was well known for not only his amazing pitching capabilities (remains a HOF hopeful) but for his small stature (5'-5", 140lbs). Egyptian Healy on the other hand was amongst the tallest in the League at 6'-2". This could make for the second coming of "Long & Short" (Nicol & Reilly).

At any rate, I do intend to bump this thread once I have my negatives in hand (couple weeks?). I expect to be able to post some mind-blowing clear images of Bobby Mathews. The Weidman I posted above is pretty well focused but the Mathews was clearly superior.

And for the record, here is what the Weidman image looked like before the negative was modified to show his move to New York.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers