View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Michael Fried

Thank you for reposting your story and pictures. I'm just a little younger than you and like you say, it's easier to remember things from 70 years ago than what may have happened over the past 6 months.

Having lived most of my life in Oakland, California (since 8 days old being born in San Francisco), I have no young childhood memories of Bond Bread cards nor much of Major League Baseball. The Giants and Dodgers didn't get to the West Coast until 1958.

We had Sunbeam (Remar) Bread and other cards cards for the Oakland Oaks (Pacific Coast League). In the early 1950's Mother's Cookies inserted cards into cookie packages (and they often came out with cookie stains). To us, the Pacific Coast League was one of the "Big Leagues."

You're Jackie Robinson card is a beaut!

There's much discussion above your last post about the 13 Bond Bread Special Giveaway cards, particularly what many call the set's "Portrait with Facsimile Autograph" card.

It is my understanding that the "Portrait with Facsimile Autograph" card was released in 1947 after the Bond Bread package insert card you picture.

Just to be sure everyone is on the same page, is that correct? If so, the Bond Bread package insert card would be Jackie Robinson's first baseball card.

It is true that the first picture of Robinson as a professional player was published as an insert the year earlier in the August 14 or 16, 1946 Montreal Parade Sportive Newspaper after his historic meeting with Branch Rickey. That insert is about 10 inches tall and pictures Robinson in his Montreal Royals minor league uniform before he became a "Big Leaguer" in 1947.

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 09-10-2020 at 07:45 PM.