View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
It doesn’t prevent you from getting it. Helps prevent you from dying. Apparently it worked for him?
In fairness I think a couple of points are relevant here. First, I do think some of the early discussions of herd immunity were pretty unrealistic given the nature of coronaviruses. I am not prepared to say they were disingenuous but I would say misleading. The best case scenario in my view was always preventing deaths and serious hospitalizations, and of course that itself would be an enormous and sufficient accomplishment given where we were. Someday when hopefully we are in a calmer space maybe someone will analyze how herd immunity was oversold.

Second, there seems little question that the vaccine was hugely effective against the wild virus and Delta in preventing deaths and serious hospitalizations. Not 100 percent of course, but powerful, a very powerful weapon with not a lot of (but as always some) risk. People who don't at least acknowledge this are playing ostrich I believe and or are too jaded and radicalized to be objective. And yes, I use that word intentionally, sorry to say.

Finally, personally, I am less convinced the boosters have much of an additive effect against omicron. Just my impression from study and glad to be persuaded otherwise. Perhaps the next generation will have more impact.

As most here, but not all, understand, this is a complex nuanced and evolving subject. It isn't really conducive to cute little memes and soundbites and conspiracy theories or for that matter blind faith in the government.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2022 at 08:27 PM.