View Single Post
Old 07-23-2023, 04:04 PM
John T

Default The Monster

James,

Well I just read through all of your posts from the beginning and it was quite the ride. I too have quite a few higher end vinage sets that are all slabbed, but you're right...I don't look at them much because they are slabbed. My 1950, 51, and 52 Bowman sets are awesome, but they sit in the box. Same for my 35 and 38 Goudey sets.

Conversely, my 33 Goudey, 34-36 Diamond Stars, 40 & 41 Play Ball, 48 Bowman, and 53, 55, 57, 59 and 60 Topps sets are in binders and I look at them all of the time. My really high end cards and favorite cards that are slabbed are in curio cabinets (about 125 separate cards) and I look at them almost every day. My office is in my basement so no real danger of light ruining them (I think...lol). Anyway, if you can't enjoy them, what's the point???

That brings my to my T206 journey which started a year ago. I bought a collection from a friend of a friend who inherited about 110 of them from their uncle. Not in great shape...all were raw and in poor to good condition...mostly poor. But I loved handling them and I was immediately hooked. I did send a few for grading because they were some of the higher end cards...Cobb, Matty, Johnson, Young, etc...the rest I kept raw and in a binder. I was happy reading your journey until the last post, where the project is on hold....and obviously you're selling some because I've bought a few from you already on B/S/T. I too keep a limit of $35 for commons and I'm currently at 338 out of the 520. I didn't complicate things yet by worrying about backs, just getting to 520 and the backs are the backs...for now. With almost all of the HOF'ers done, with the exception of 3 Cobbs and 1 Young, I'm hoping I don't fall victim to the same decision to pack it up.

For now, I love following Leon's weekly T206 auctions (even won a few) and lately dabbling in B/S/T. Hoping I stick with it as I'm really done with almost all of the other sets I ever wanted to go after...I'm hoping this one keeps the chase going for some time.

JT