View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
for me , its not the holder, its the grade date that matters. Application of grading standards have changed over the years and pretty much any card in an old SGC/PSA holder needs to be brought down a grade. When I look at a card in old slab its usually pretty easy for me to tell its overgraded. slab buyers beware.
In the case of PSA Registry addicts though, isn't the grade really all they care about for the most part? And assuming so, why would those Registry addicted people really care how old the PSA holder and flip were, as long as it shows the grade they want?

And if that is the case, why would a seller ever give a discount for an older PSA holdered card, unless the Registry influence on PSA cards is declining? But if that is the case and the Registry aspect is no longer the main driving point, how does one then explain the pricing differential still favoring PSA over SGC/BGS? Is it possibly a carryover from new investors/collectors in the hobby initially seeing the PSA price advantage and not attributing it to the Registry? It has been said and noted by many that grading between PSA, SGC, and Beckett does not appear to account for the PSA price advantage, so the Registry has been given a lot of credit for this pricing differential in the past. But are the new investors/money that appear to have jumped into our hobby since the pandemic started into the Registry at all? The impression I get is that they don't really care that much about the Registry, as these investor types don't seem to be into building sets or collecting in a manner that the Registry is more suited for.