View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
When I see old flips/slabs (PSA/SGC) and people not wanting them, I see "opportunity". I don't care about the flip/slab, I care about the appearance of the card. There's never a consideration for the NUMBER on the flip when I pick up a card. If it looks good, I'll take it. I've picked up, what I consider, under graded cards for reasonable prices and refuse to pay a premium for a NUMBER. I'm not a slabhead or a registry freak. If it looks good, that's good enough for me.

Amen. Outside of a few specific things I’m collecting (the 1975 Topps set in a PSA 8, my Robin Yount Topps master set in a PSA 9), I’m buying almost exclusively ungraded now.

I don’t care about the slab. Never have. Unfortunately, so many times, I’ve found it’s just easier to buy the slabbed card when building a set or run. Ungraded examples with the eye appeal I’m looking for get snagged up quickly, and sent en masse to the TPG. At least, the star and rookie players do.

The difference between a PSA 9 and a 10 is so slight, and yet the price increase is astronomical. I became convinced long ago that chasing high grades like that, needing the 10 instead of the 9, was more about hobby dick measuring. “I’ve got the highest registry score for _____!!!”

Congratulations. You’re a master of the universe.

When one card is submitted to the same tpg three times, and each time it comes back with a different grade, just how useful is the tpg? What service do they provide, besides taking some green out of your wallet, and making you wait for a really long time to get your card(s) back?

I can look at a card, and after pulling out my 60x jeweler’s loupe, and my black light, I can nail the condition within a half grade (or ex to ex+, ex+ to exmt), and feel confident as to the card’s authenticity. I have “exemplar” cards-beat to sh#* examples of every year, showing me what the card stock and surface gloss are like, showing me the typography, etc. All the reputable dealers I buy from allow for returns, so if something isn’t kosher, I can send it back. I’m just out return postage.

You can either play the game, or you can collect for the love of the hobby and the sport. I may never have the kind of collection that gets the oohs and ahs. But I have a hell of a lot of fun doing it, and enjoy reading your posts, seeing your cardboard treasures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.