View Single Post
Old 08-06-2023, 07:26 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
[B]One of my favorite pickups from the National in Chicago is an unusual exhibition scorebook that I had never seen that has some interesting historic significance. Monday, August 15, 1932 was the Bicentennial Anniversary of Washington DC. Virtually all MLB baseball teams did not play on this date. To commemorate the Washington DC Bicentennial, a special Exhibition game was played that pitted members of the 1924 World Champion Washington Nats team that included HOF Walter Johnson and Goose Goslin vs. the current 1932 Washington Team managed by WaJo. WaJo pitched some of the innings for the 1924 World Champion squad and Marberry pitched the rest. Alas, the upstart 1932 Washington team best the 1924 Champions 6-2 in the game. Here are some pictures of the scorebook which is remarkable shape considering it's over 90 years old.
I included a closeup of the inside of the scorebook that highlighted the individual significance of WaJo's only win in the World Series in a terrific HOF career. Enjoy!
Hi Scott, very cool scorecard. I handled a number of these as a collector and dealer, and of course always thought they were great, with the '24 Nationals playing the '32 team in a full game! What that had to do with George Washington I can't tell you, but so cool nonetheless. And historical in the sense that this was the last game Walter ever pitched for Washington, albeit an exhibition.