View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 07:42 AM

for me, i think you can be a set builder and still focus on individual players/stars/etc that you love

i treat each year as a time capsule of sorts. i try to be as “complete” in a given year as possible. take ‘77 for an example. i have the base topps, o-pee-chee, burger king, cloth stickers, etc all bindered so they are easy to flip though. i like seeing and remembering players i loved then ( liking at you lee mazzilli and john stearns). but then i like to have the key superstars and rookies and red sox players in graded/higher grade slabs. i have this in hard plastic inserts so they fit nicely in the binder (another response talked about this i saw…).

set building just seems to evoke more memories for me than just doing individuals. this is less important for years/sets where those memories aren’t as strong. i’ll unlikely ever build a t206, but would love to have more individual cards there at some point. a ‘34 diamond stars set i would tackle because they were there first vintage cards ever introduced to me by a family friend. that’s how i decide