View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 11:09 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Great... how can I get started? What would you experienced collectors advise in terms of what to look for?

- era to explore first?
- cover art matters a lot, I'd assume?
- how do you evaluate condition and reasonable price/value?
- big name player in the score card and/or a specific historic game adds a lot, i'd assume?
- scorecards vs. programs vs. yearbooks... where to focus first?

I still love my cards... but this sounds like a nice, affordable tangent to explore

Thanks all (and if you're selling some cool items, PM me!) I love great cover illustrations

Jeff
Start on ebay where there are thousands of them available, very many of them for very cheap.

Buy what you like. There is no right and no wrong way to collect.

I prefer scored ones, I used to love figuring out the date using the box scores in my Sporting News collection (which I only collected to date my scorecards), now it's so easy for me to figure out the date from Retrosheet that I would like to sell my TSN collection (shameless plug).

I once bought 7 Reds scorecards from the early 1960s on ebay for $20 including postage and in the process of figuring out the dates found that I had bought Pete Rose's ML debut game.

That kind of stuff happens a lot still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963-04-08-Reds-Pirates-cover.jpg (212.1 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg 1963-04-08-Reds-Pirates-scorecard-OPENING DAY-ROSE.jpg (212.7 KB, 476 views)

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-17-2023 at 11:11 PM.