View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 02:31 PM

Default Uncovered bat

Recently, a buddy of mine retrieved a box of game used bats that have been in storage for some time. In that box, a bat(given to him by a player), was said to be Brewer's manager Harvey Kuehn's longtime Fungo bat/walking stick. He had a prosthetic leg and used the bat for steadiness. This bat needed help and identification. I wanted to bring it back to life

The bat was completely covered in multiple layers of athletic tape with the outermost dirty and darkened overtime. That layer was crumbly and came off fairly easy. The second layer of tape was dry but stuck to the bat and got messy but removable. The third layer was all the leftover adhesive that was "petrified" to the bat over the last four decades. It was pounded into the grain and looked pretty bad. After he talked of sanding it, I immediately confiscated it and took it home to finish. After 4 hours and LOTS of elbow grease, I managed to bring it back to life. I left the lower handle layers of tape remain to show that this was that bat. I regrettably forgot before pictures, but it turned out great, and he had it back in 24 hrs. and was very pleased.

Uncovering this bat was a thrill for me, and it represents a cool piece of Brewers history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2956.jpg (58.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2958.jpg (69.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2959.jpg (63.5 KB, 67 views)