Thread: Sandiegowill
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default Sandiegowill

Posted By: WILL HAYS

Hello Jason, Basically we just get tons of stuff and sell it on Ebay. When we are fortunate to buy deals or get consigned collections of vintage memorabilia then we get to do business with the fine people in this group. Our business model is similar to the Scott Gaynor model, that is up until his groundbreaking announcement of earlier today that I read and which prompted my post.

Much of what we run is consigned to us by collectors, dealers, sometimes estates or other auction companies and then we go out and buy collections to make up the rest.

I did get some cool cards back from PSA today, though sadly no T202 or T204 Cubs.

To be completely honest, we changed our name as part of an agreement that we had with GAI. Our intention was to have people assign their entire collections to Global and have GAI grade and cert everything that was practical and then have us sell it with the goal of paying as fast as possible (soup to nuts in 10 days or less). Obviously, all of that would be done with the intent of maximizing the value of the collection and putting our best foot forward on the premium material. As a result, we thought that a crisp business-sounding name like wcm-inc with 50,000+ feedback would appeal more to someone who had not previously done business with us than the more "doing this out of my house"-sounding name of sandiegowill.

That's the deal. Sometimes I wonder if the confusion in the name change was worth sounding more businesslike. And, no, we don't do this out of my house. There is a staff of seven here including myself.

Will