View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I wonder if many of the drivers are told to do the ring and dash. I have watched a driver come to my front door, ring the bell and turn around and leave. They are not waiting for you to answer. The bell ring is a "courtesy" I suppose to let you know it arrived. If you don't hear it, you have to stumble upon your package later.

As a former UPS driver, that's exactly what you are trained to do for most house deliveries. If you wait for everybody to come to the door, you won't keep your job for very long.

As a 6 year cover driver who often had to fill in for other drivers routes I wasn't familiar with, it was of even more importance that you finish your deliveries as quickly as possible, to make up all the time you were losing by not actually knowing the structure of the route you were on.

They also kept detailed statistics on every aspect of your day, and packages brought back to the building was one of the things that were highly frowned upon. Unless a package specifically said "Signature Required", you were expected to find a way to deliver it.